Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

my friend is an illegal. she received a juror subpoena failure

Customer Question

my friend is an illegal. she received a juror subpoena failure to respond notice today telling her that she needs to go to the supreme court building in person or she'll be fined for a thousand dollars and/or put in jail. she doesn't feel comfortable going to the court coz she is afraid that she might get caught by the INS. my questions are : 1) will she get arrested by cops if she fails to show up in court? 2) is there anything she could do to avoid going to court, like paying the fine? ( she doesn't mind paying the $1000 fine, as long as she doesn't have to show herself in court ) 3) if appearance is mandatory, does she need an immigration lawyer to go with her?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Hello. My name is Alex and I will be happy to answer your question.

Generally she can write a letter to court and let the clerk of court know that she is not a US citizen.

In order to serve on the jury, a person has to be a US citizen.

1) If she fails to show up she can be charged with a crime.

2) The best thing generally is to write a letter and/or contact the court.

3) It is very unlikely that going to court would cause immigration issues, but she should consult with an experienced local immigration attorney.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.