Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

how long does a judge have to rule after a divorce trial and

how long does a judge have to rule after a divorce trial and post memorandums are filed?
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

What is it that you are waiting for the judge to rule on?

Was it a bench trial or jury trial?

What post memorandums were filed?

When was the trial and when were the memos filed?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
waiting for a judgement of divorce. no custody issues. straight forward w-2 employee (husband) and stay at home wife

it was a bench trial

postmemorandums from divorce trial transcripts were filed

the trial was oct 18, 19 2010, the memos were filed dec 8 2010
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.
What was the main contested issue in the case?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the timing of the sale of the marital home and division of small amount of stock and cash savings . the wife wants exclusive occupancy of home until june 2014 and the husband wants the house sold immediately. (the original serving of the husband was nov 2008. multiple attempts at settlement, 24 adjournments, high legal bills.)
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for the information.

Okay, this may be hard for you to understand and accept, but there is only a very few statutory provisions which require a judge to rule within a specific time frame. This is a huge loop hole in the law.

In order to get the judge to rule, your lawyer will need to send a few (3-5) polite requests to the judge with a copy to the other side. Each request should be made about 10 - 15 days apart. If the judge still refuses to rule, then your lawyer will have to file a mandamus action in the court of appeals to force a ruling.

So, the problem is that you may get a ruling but it may not be a favorable one.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".