Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Can my bank return a wire transfer I have received for a business

Customer Question

Can my bank return a wire transfer I have received for a business transaction? I have a business I do over seas construction rental and purchase. I have had a few clients who have received the rentals some who have purchased equiptment and are now trying to claim fraud. Is this possible my bank account is now frozen. The person at the bank told me she would contact all the people that have wired me money and see if they want refunds. So now I have immoral people purchasing equiptment and not having to pay for it. I don't know what I should do now as far as this whole thing goes. I have $18,000.00 that the bank will not give me what is my re course? These people never even contacted me they just went to the bank and told them I frauded them and they wanted their money back. Unfortunatly these people did know each other. I am out time money and the equiptment they have kept. The kicker is I am in the US and they are in Germany and the UK. What can I do?
Thanks
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

If there is any type of fraud claims the bank's legal department can freeze an account until the claims are fully investigated.

At this point I would suggest that you consult and retain local attorney who can represent you in this matter and negotiate with the bank as well as if necessary file a lawsuit to have your account released.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So how long can the bank investigate? How can someone just claim fraud not have to speak with me and freeze my account? No one will talk to me or tell me anything. They did not even tell the consumer that they had to contact me. Can they return the money without consulting me and finding out what my story is? Is it fraud if you send someone money get their equiptment then file a fraud claim?
Generally an investigation can take up to 90 days or longer.

The bank would first freeze the money before contacting the account holder due to the fact that they don't want account holder to empty the account.

If the bank issues refund based on their investigation, you would be able to sue the bank as well as these consumers, if the bank makes a wrongful or unfounded determination.

If consumers falsely claim fraud, it would constitute consumer fraud.

I would suggest that you consult a local attorney who can file a lawsuit to have the judge decide this matter, rather than the bank.

Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney
I am sorry to see that you have requested a refund. Are there any other related follow up questions that I can help you answer?