D. WINOGO ESQ.
D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Experience:  10+years of experience in all matters of civil litigation and Hearing Officer/Arbitrator
18858452

I have separated from my husband the house was sold in December

I have separated from my husband the house was sold in December 2010, the money was split 50:50. My ex husband is refusing to give me back some personal belongings, wedding ring, engagement ring etc. He told me that he no longer has these, so I told him that I will report the items stolen to the police as he was the last person who had possession of these. He is now saying that I have to pay him £2,000 to return the items. This is obviously black mail. Should I contact the police or shall I take it to a small claims court?
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 5 years ago.
The police will not get involved in a civil dispute. You will need to file a claim in court against him. Before you do so, send him a letter with an itemized list of all your personal property and demanding that he return it. This letter will serve as evidence in court regarding what property of yours he is holding.