Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

I have an invention that is near patent----how do i get a licensee

I have an invention that is near patent----how do i get a licensee to buy the rights to build, market and sell the product, or what type of person do I contact ???? This is a substantial piece of equiptment for the oil and gas industry called an encapsulating device for the purpose of shutting off errant or uncontrollable fluid or gas from pipelines or wells.
You would need to at least apply for a provisional patent to protect yourself if you have not yet applied for the regular patent. Then the next step is making contact with the major oil companies and the drill rig manufacturers to approach them with the prototype of your invention or with the blue prints and design of the invention. The only way to really get them to buy is to prove the idea is financially viable and that it actually works, which is hard to do without a prototype.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”