How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 18388
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking for information about a written appearance I must

Customer Question

I am looking for information about a written appearance I must file in the circuit court of cook county on June 6. I found out in the past week that a debt collector I have no knowledge of is suing me for $13.156.26 plus costs. Providian, Washington Mutual, and Chase were in succession my credit card issuers, and some time last year I stopped making monthly payments due to illness and loss of my job. Eventually, I was forced to move. The summons to file my written appearance was served at my former address, hence the late discovery. There doesn't seem to bed any information on the court's website about how to file this written appearance. Since I don't have any money to hire an attorney, I need to figure out how to do the filing myself. Where do I start?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

The best option here may be for you to contact the courthouse and ask if they have a law library. Such a library is open and free for use. You should be able to visit it, request a template of a written appearance, make a copy, and then modify it for your own needs. That is by far the most effective approach short of actually hiring your own counsel.

Good luck
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dear Mr Kaplun. Thanks. But this answer isn't worth the $40 I said I would pay if I was satisfied. Therefore, I won't accept it. I don't live in Chicago anymore, otherwise I woudn't need your advice to go to the court's law library. I would do so without any prompting. What I thought I would be getting from you is advice from an attorney very familiar with the rules and procedures of the Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois. If you were conversant with the court in question, you would know or even have an electronic copy of the forms or whatever else is required to file the specific written appearance I described in my question.
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for your follow-up.

From the tone of your question, it appears that you were seeking general guidance rather than forms. As such I will opt out and open your question to other experts who may be able to assist you. Please do not respond as it may delay assistance, and please be aware that because it is very late you might not be able to receive an answer right away.

Good luck.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.


Attached are the Appearance and Answer forms. If you get a blank page, just type in the zip code of the Court to display the forms. There are five forms altogether including the instructions in text document, which I did not open:


Appearance and Jury Demand Form:


Answer Form:


Jury Demand Form:




Related Legal Questions