socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
10097515

Do monthly payments on a student loan that is not past due

Do monthly payments on a student loan that is not past due count as an allowable expense when performing the Means Test?
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
No. Payments of employment-required educational expenses are allowable expenses -- but, not school loans.

If your loan was in default, and the Dept. of Education was garnishing your pay, then that would be an allowable expense. But a timely-paid loan does not qualify.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate others about the law. I am always available to answer your follow-up questions after you click Accept – however, if you do not click Accept, the website gets paid, and I receive nothing. This is true, even if you are on a subscription plan. So please click Accept, so that I will be able to continue to provide this service for others in the future.