Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992

I bought the lots on which I built my home over 20 years ago.

I bought the lots on which I built my home over 20 years ago. I bought the property from a close relative. The oldest son has always been jealous of that transaction and has a record of mean and outrageous behavior toward me since we were kids. He seems think he has to right to everything as if were an heir to some throne hundreds of years ago.
He later in life got a law degree and an old crony friend of his was the local judge (who is now in prison). He convinced his parents that he needed to change the ownership of his mothers’ land to that of both parents. In doing this he also changed the title of my land to the name of his parents. The parents are old and do not understand or question such actions. I am certain there was no reason to change ownership on a couple of city lots “for taxes”. This change on the land record deeds/title was only discovered when we tried to refinance our house. It killed the refinance and I lost money on a business expansion for which some of the equity was going to be used.
As a lawyer, he is well aware that this state has the old “homestead type laws” and such. That is, if land is occupied for so long without objection by the owner, then it belongs to the occupier and not the original owner. In fact, a little before this occurred; he lost a case on adverse possession. That raised a red flag to me in this occurrence.
My question is to ask how serious is this and what could be the consequences for him if it were pressed to the “fullest extent of the law”?
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
He could be disbarred if he is forging legal documents, such as deeds. I'm sure it is a criminal offense, forgery at least, but this isn't the kind of thing that the police are likely to be interested in pursuing since the deeds are now back in the correct name. You can report him to the State Bar and they are likely to pursue him.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience: Began practicing law in 1992