Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

is there such a thing called abandonment of a marriage

is there such a thing called "abandonment of a marriage" in wyoming?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

In Wyoming, "no". It is not a crime and, since Wyoming is a no-fault divorce state, it is irrelevant as to why a marriage ends--it only needs to be shown that irreconcilable differences arose.

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i heard a mother walked out on her family olny 2 return 7 months later and a motion was carried stating she abanded her family she lost her kids and all rights to any and all assects
That doesn't change my answer. Child custody is ordered according to the best interest of the child; I don't know what happened in that specific situation and the mother walking out as she did was, I'm sure, a factor in the court's custody decision, but there is no such thing as "abandonment of a marriage" in Wyoming. The rest of the story is not true: you will not lose your right to any assets merely because you walk out on your family. You are welcome to listen to some ridiculous rumor from an ill-informed layman instead of the licensed attorney... be my guest! :)