Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.

Hello... a guy who wants to date me (but we are not dating)

Hello... a guy who wants to date me
(but we are not dating) bought be a bulldog in december... He is now very upset that we are not dating, and states I either need to give him visitation or 2k... all the AKC and microchip and breeder paperwork is under me and ONLY me.... should I worry.. he has thretened a "lien" on the puppy and I dont even know what that means... thank you!!
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good evening. He has no rights. A gift is a gift and he cannot rescind it. He can threaten all he wants, but he has no valid claim. You can never prevent someone from filing a suit against you, but he won't prevail in rescinding the gift. The judge will see this for what it is...a situation where the grapes are extremely sour.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You are sure he has no legal claim? he is stating I "promised" him for the dog to be in his life... ets.. and is now being hurtful ( obviously) but I am quite concerened he can try to get the mone or my sweet baby... What I had not stated was that he financially helped me in other ways quite a bit... groceries and fronting the money for a large board exam... etc... He is quite bitter... would you just suggest ignoring it and being comforted that he has no claim on having helped me????
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

He has no claim for the dog. I would be careful not to let him steal the dog, although if he does you can have him prosecuted. If he keeps harassing you, I would suggest letting him know that if he doesn't leave you alone permanently, you will either get a restraining order against him and/or file criminal harassment charges.