John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.

i live in ohio and rent an apt. I signed a lease and have

i live in ohio and rent an apt. I signed a lease and have a dog. I paid a $200 pet deposit in addition to my regular deposit. I also have to pay an additional $25 per month rent to have my dog. I am not the only person that has a dog in my community. Today I woke up to a note on my door from mgmt threatening to fine me $50 for not cleaning up after my dog's bathroom breaks. The problem is that i do clean after my dog. Do they have to prove that its my dogs "poop" or am I just stuck with whatever they say?
Expert:  John Legal replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

They will need proof that it is you that is not cleaning up in order to fine you. You are not stuck with whatever they say. If they have not seen you violate the rules then there is no way they can enforce their threatened fine.

I would suggest that you request they provide you proof of the violation.