JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Attorney
Experience:  Explains legal matters based on 14+ years experience.
14211116

Dear lawyers, My husband was arrested on Public Intox in Ottawa

Customer Question

Dear lawyers, My husband was arrested on Public Intox in Ottawa County, Oklahoma. I picked him up from the County jail on a $300.00 bail. He has a court date this next Monday. Nothing on his record except a DWI back in college in 1997. He went into a Native American casino and asked asked the security if he could use their phone to call a ride. Apparently he got into an verbal disagreement with one of the security gaurds and they asked him to leave. He left and walked to the local convenience store to use the phone. As he approached the convenience store, there was a patrolman waiting there for him. The patrolman asked him if he was not getting along with the security gaurd at the casino very well and my husband said, "I guess so. . ." The officer said, "Turn around. . ." took him in and booked him with Public Intox. What happens at the court date? More fines? He will plead "no contest" as he was obviously intoxicated hence trying to find a ride home/walking, etc.
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 5 years ago.

JB Umphrey :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

JB Umphrey :

I am sorry to learn of your husband's circumstances.

JB Umphrey :

The bond can be applied to any assessed fines and costs.

JB Umphrey :

The judge will likely impose a fine and order that he cannot return to the property for a year.

JB Umphrey :

Is there anything else that I can assist with?

Customer:

Well, I know that in OK that there could be imposed jail time. . . is there anyway to find out how often that is issued vs. just the fines?

JB Umphrey :

There really is no external way to find out. One would have to internally study the court's case management numbers. That's information which the general public does not have access to.

If you are satisfied that your questions have been answered, kindly select ACCEPT to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

Okay, maybe I will, but one last question, please, WHO has access to the types of records to which you are referring?

JB Umphrey :

the court administrator.

Customer:

Court admin, as in court clerk?

JB Umphrey :

the court administrator is the head of all of the court staff.

JB Umphrey :

The court administrator oversees all of the operations of the court.

Customer:

okay, I know you want to press "accept", so I'd like to do that. . . can WE solicit the court admin or can or lawyer, is that is even a legitimite, feasible request. . .

Customer:

If you were my husband, would YOU hire a lawyer??? I will gladly press "accept", please answer

JB Umphrey :

It is out of the ordinary and it's not data that the court administrator regularly mines or keeps track of.

Customer:

Oh, gotcha. . . so, would YOU hire a lawyer considering the circumstances or just show up, plead "no contest", pay fines/etc.

JB Umphrey :

If I did not recall the event, I would have a lawyer.

Customer:

Okay, JB Umphrey. . . thanks for your 9 minutes of advise. Very appreciated.

JB Umphrey :

You are most welcome. Have a good evening.