Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.

Some personal information was posted about me online without

Some personal information was posted about me online without my consent.
Is it possible for me to sue the person who put up the information?
Good evening. Was the information false? Or, was it information over which you had the expectation of privacy? Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The information was all true but was considered both sensitive and private. It contained personal and cellular phones, addresses, and family history as well as other details that were not meant for the world wide web.
I'm going to opt out and let a CA lawyer help you with this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Well I'm in California but the person with the information resides in NJ where he posted it onto a website. I'm not sure what sort of jurisdiction is in place here.
Can you clarify how the NJ person got this information that is so private?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't know how the information was made available to him. I know this much. A pdf file was emailed to an individual. This individual is friends with someone who runs a website. Shortly, thereafter this pdf file, known to contain information both sensitive and private, was posted in its entirety on the website without any consent from anyone. I have asked both parties for an explanation and no one seems to have one.
Was there a benefit to the website owner posting it on his site? Also, how did you even come to learn of this?

Is any of the information copyrighted?

Here is the problem I am seeing, potentially. Someone had it and someone gave it away, unless it was copyrighted. If that someone stole it, I could see a possible problem. But if it was given to someone and that someone gave it to someone else, without limitation, and that unlimited information (which is obviously known by many people, so it is not necessarily private, i.e. known by family members, friends, etc.) is then posted on someone's website, I am not finding a single NJ or CA law that would likely be implicated. People hear things they are permitted to repeat them - it is a freedom of speech issue. You can hope they don't repeat a secret, for instance, and if you had a binding agreement with all the necessary elements to be a binding agreement, you could feasibly sue the breacher for divulging. But here there is no such allegation I don't think.

Same with documents, unless copyrighted OR otherwise privileged - i.e. medical records in the hands of your doctor - legally retains the right of confidentiality/privacy. Cell phone numbers - not terribly private since dozens of people have them AND you could legally divulge your friend/family member's cell phone number if you wanted (not protected) history? Again, not privileged, from what I can see.

I wish had better news for you but I am not finding in a review of NJ or CA and definitely not federal. I wish I did!

Good luck, I hope it all works out for you.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience: 19 Years of Legal Practice Experience in this precise field.