Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

I own several rental properties that I still have mortgages

I own several rental properties that I still have mortgages on. Can I place them into a trust such as a land trust or a revocable living trust without triggering the due on sale clause on the mortgages? This would be more of an asset protection kind of strategy.

Thanks,
Arthur
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

If the mortgage agreements have the due on sale clause, you would not be able to transfer ownership to any other physical individuals or legal entities.

The banks include this clauses to protect their interest in property.

However you can contact the bank's legal department and see if they would allow for you to put these properties in some type of trust.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would appreciate if you would click on the accept button.
Please keep in mind if you already made a deposit or on a monthly subscription plan you will not incur any additional charges, but I will only be compensated for my time and effort only if you click on ACCEPT.
Bonus and Positive Feedback are always appreciated. Thank you and good luck!