Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

Can a non profit organization collaborate with a profit company

Can a non profit organization collaborate with a profit company to present an art exhibition, which is not profitable (meaning no one will get paid, the artwork is not for sale)?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Generally yes, as long as non-for profit will not gain any commercial profit from this collaboration.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1 more question.

The non profit entity refuses to name the profit company on the invitation. For example: It currently reads "Non Profit Foundation Presents ....". The profit company would like it to read "Non Profit Foundation in collaboration with Profit Corp". The non profit thinks this is not possible as under 501c3 it is not allowed to engage with a profit company (I couldn't confirm this). The non profit feels that the DA may think this is lobbying and illegal. Keep in mind, no one is being paid. All services and goods provides are donated.

Can you make sense of this?

Generally what it seems is the fact that the non-for-profit company is worried about possible appearance of improprieties.

It would be up to the profit company whether to engage in this venture event on the non-for-profit terms or whether to turn it down.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My thoughts exactly. Why would the non profit be worried when no money is being exchanged? Makes no sense to me.

Thank you for your help.