How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask John Legal Your Own Question

John Legal
John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience:  Over 15 years legal experience.
Type Your Legal Question Here...
John Legal is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Landlord/Tenant issue, PA - We are renting a home for large

Resolved Question:

Landlord/Tenant issue, PA - We are renting a home for large amount of money. It started as a 2-year lease which was renewed once and we are 3/4 through the current year. We have a complete yearly inspection inside and outside done by the property manager as the owners live out of state.

The property management company is responsible for all major maintenance which includes, in this case the furnace and air conditioning, which has gone out before, was told by the repair companies that it needed to be replaced but was "fixed". No regular maintenance has been done on either unit.

The end of March we had a furnace "blow back" which was disastrous. The house has been uninhabitable ever since and we have been living in a hotel. We had renter's insurance up until Nov. of last year when it somehow didn't auto-renew...we now have it again. Anyway, the owner's insurance company determined that it as their liability and has been covering cleaning and replacing our belongings and our hotel expenses.

However, the owner's have now decided to evict us. The facts in the eviction are completely baseless. We have pre-paid legal services through my husband's employment and we have obtained the services through a local attorney.

Even though we have communicated with the attorney and his associate, a "notice of possession" was obtained even though we asked for a continuance since I was scheduled for surgery even before the eviction was filed; an appeal was not filed in a timely fashion because we were not notified that the court hearing had even been held and so we did not have enough time to gather the 3 months rent in advance necessary to put in escrow, I will now shortly have an eviction on my record making it impossible for me to rent another home.

None of this has been our fault! We are homeless. We our out our last month's rent and security deposit ($5,000). My credit record now has an eviction on it. And we have not had a chance to defend ourselves. Do we have any recourse at all? We thought our interests were being looked out for. Please advise.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for trusting Just Answer. As an attorney I will answer as clearly as possible. I ask for you Accept my answer so I am paid when we are done.

You may be able to request leave from the appellate court for leave to file your appeal. Unfortunately, although you may have had a good chance at arguing that the eviction was untimely and not appropriate given the circumstances, your failure to appear in court and plead your case has removed your ability to be heard on the matter.

Who did you ask for a continuance from? Was it from the attorney or the court. Did anyone agree to give you a continuance?

John Legal, Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 4631
Experience: Over 15 years legal experience.
John Legal and 4 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We asked our attorney to file a continuance with the court after receiving the main eviction filing. I was already scheduled for surgery that day. I asked him by e-mail, no confirmation, phone messages, no confirmations, and finally the day before the scheduled hearing, I demanded to stay on the line until he came to the phone to get an answer. They said they would have it pulled from the docket.


After not hearing anything from their office for a week, I made an appointment where they informed me that apparently the hearing went on as scheduled despite them sending a letter to the judge. A Notice of Possession had been granted to the owners which gave us 10 days to appeal along with 3 months rent in advance. This was day 9 and I had no time to think yet alone come up with $7,500.

Expert:  John Legal replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like you have a malpractice claim against the attorney. Since the attorney did not fully follow up on the continuance there is nothing you can do to change the outcome in court but you can sue the attorney for your damages, including any effect this may have on your credit or rental history.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.