Law Pro, Attorney
Experience:  20 years legal practitioner: real estate, collections, estate, civil, business, and criminal law

I was divorced in Feb, 2010. My ex-husband was entitled to

I was divorced in Feb, 2010. My ex-husband was entitled to half of my retirement accounts (I had two, from my current and previous employer). He proceeded to go through the necessary steps to obtain the funds from one of the accounts, but never followed through with the other account. He says his lawyer "lost interest" once the divorce was final. Is there a statute-of-limitations in obtaining this money? Do I wait until he decides he is ready to forge ahead with the paperwork and such, or is there ever a time that it is "too late"?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry but there is NO statute of limitations as to property division in a divorce. Divorce is an "equitable" action - not an "at law" action.

So, even if he waits for 10 years - he's still entitled to the monies. He's got a court order which is enforceable basically forever - even his heirs could enforce such potentially.

However, after that time span you could make argument that he didn't do his due diligence and your finances have changed or he's taking more then he should, etc.