Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

A restaurant named Down to the Bone in Brandon Florida was

A restaurant named Down to the Bone in Brandon Florida was scheduled to do catering for my wedding next week june 11th 2011. My finace and I decided to cancel the contract today since friends decided to provide the food for us. The catering service refuse to give us our share of the money we paid which is about 1400.00. The owner says he will pay us in increments over a 90 day period. We explained that we need this money today to cover other expenses. The owner offered to pay only 1000.00 as a settlement. We explained that we need all monies that has been paid to him. The contract says monies are non refundable if it's 5 days prior to event date. Since we cancelled contract today 5-31-11 and the event is 6-11-11 we should still be able to get the full refund. What should we do in a situation like this?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

If the contract only states that a refund will be given without details as to how or when, then you really are at the mercy of he company. The only thing you can do is file in Small Claims court. But that is not going to get your money to you immediately.

Sam :

I suggest you should write them a letter and mail it certified stating that you are entitled to a full refund under the terms of the contract. And if they do not provide it to you immediately upon receipt of the letter, you will be filing a small claims lawsuit

Sam :

Small claims is something you can handle without an attorney

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Hi

But again, it would be at least 15 days or more before you would get a hearing.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and I will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck