Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

The State of Alaska has a FAQ from DMV that states a Dot Medical

The State of Alaska has a FAQ from DMV that states a Dot Medical card is required for commercial vehicles over 10,000 pounds. Yet, Alaska Statute says a commercial vehicle is greater than 26000 pounds, or carries 16 passengers, or carries hazmat requiring pacarding. I can find no statute or regulation that states a person driving a vehicle for commercial purposes is required to have a medical card other than those required to have a CDL. Do I need a medical card to drive a vehicle that would not by weight, passenger or hazardous material requiring placarding by DOT would require a medical card to operate.
Under the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations §391, anyone driving a vehicle over 10,000 pounds must have a medical card. It is not a state law it is the federal law.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”