Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

My Wife and I reside in a townehome we signed a 1 year lease

My Wife and I reside in a townehome we signed a 1 year lease agreement on last July 31st.We also paid 1 months rent as a deposit ($1795) We just received an e-mail from our landlord/owner that she is increasing our monthly lease payment from $1795/mo to $1995/mo. We have paid on time, never been late in 10 months and she hasn't spent $200 total in 10 months to fix anything we complained about. I have all the e-mails sent to her that lists deficiencies that she decided she didn't have to correct or only offered to pay a part of the expense. This included a plumbing problem in the downstairs toilet that backs up and makes gurgling noises when we operate our washer, and, she offered to only pay $75 of a carpet cleaning bill which was $140 after we requested the unit be fumigated for fleas when we moved in. The prior tenant had a cat.The association fee comes out of our monthly lease payment and covers gardening, roof repairs/water leaks, gardening, etc.My question is this...does she have a legal right to raise this 11%/$200/mo when we haven't ever been late with payment? And she hasn't cooperated to fix the small things?
Expert:  Sam replied 3 years ago.

Sam :

Hi

Sam :

There is no limit on how much your rent may be increased. The law only says if 10% or more, you must be given at least 30 days notice

Sam :

If you have problems with her not repairing items then you could have put the rent in escrow and held it until the repairs wer made

Customer:

is there an Carlsbad rental increase limits?

Sam :

Not unless you are in a section 8 or rent controlled property.

Sam :

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Customer:

With the economy the way it is one would think counties or cities would control "Gouging" like this, but apparently not the case here in California. Thanks anyway. I will hit accept.

Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience: 20 years of experience practicing law.