D. WINOGO ESQ., Attorney
Experience:  10+years of experience in all matters of civil litigation and Hearing Officer/Arbitrator

Please bare with me as I try to explain this. I live with a

Customer Question

Please bare with me as I try to explain this. I live with a roommate, who seems to think I owe him money for bills that are in his name. No roommate agreement was ever signed. And I have had to pay portions of his rent when he couldn't. The roommate does owe me money, but I know that I will most likely never see it. However, I became pregnant, by my boyfriend who does not live with us. My roommate seems to think that because I will be getting child support from the boyfriend, that he (the roommate) can get his hands on the money that would be coming from the child support. I told the roommate that child support money, isn't free money that people can spend anyway they want. It's money that is meant to help buy clothes, food, and anything else the child needs. However, today he handed me paperwork for a court date, to settle this "money" dispute. How should I proceed with this situation?
Expert:  D. WINOGO ESQ. replied 5 years ago.
Which bills is he suing you for exactly?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Internet and Electric. However, he never showed me the bills for those.
Are you on the lease as well as your roommate? Or just your roommate? Also, did your roommate ever send you a written letter demanding the money for the utilities?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both of us are on the lease but the lease has been up for the past year and a half. We have been paying month to month. The roommate never sent me a hand written letter. All he said he did was send emails with money amounts he wanted, but most of those I never recieved, even though he claims to have sent them. I did pay a few times but that was because he verbally told me what the bills were and we were both at the bank at the time. But that was over a year ago and he hasn't verbally said anything to me about bills.
Ok. Thank you for the additional information. That helps clarify the issues. The fact that you voluntarily paid your roommate half of the utility bills in the past is evidence of an agreement even though there was nothing in writing. If your roommate can produce this evidence in court, the judge will order you to pay your share, especially if you are using those utilities. Your only defense is to demonstrate that you do not and have not used the internet and electricity in the apartment.