Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

If a class action suit has been finished and the company agrees

Customer Question

If a class action suit has been finished and the company agrees to pay and put x amount of dollars aside. They invite your claim; you make the claim; provide proof of ownership; they send an inspector who says we have an 80% loss (and who also says it takes about 30 days for them to review claim and pay it). So we are all excited and waiting and then 4 months go by?

Can we send a demand letter even if we don't know the amount we should demand? What about loss of use? We have a 1500 square foot deck that is not very usable and with them dragging their feet and Oregon sunshine is fleeting; what are our rights to make a demand or make a complaint with DOJ regarding their unfair treatment of our claim and not making a good faith effort to complete our claim in a timely manner.

I don't want to aggrevate them (although probably calling them weekly and wanting to call them daily has already). Plus catching the claims adjuster in a fib and confronting her with it didn't make it any better either. In addition, they will not provide the name or phone number of the person in charge of the claims person. I've even called back East regarding the Class Action Suit and they were no help at all.

I can see in reviewing the above it is more than one question.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
If you have been part of the class already, the problem is that sometimes these classes take forever to go through and settle out because of the volume of people who are involved You need to send them a letter informing them that you complied with their demands and as of yet you have not received a response and you are seeking one. Finally, if you do not hear back from them, your next step is a complaint to the court itself where the class action was resolved and inform the clerk of court with a letter and the clerk of court will inform the judge, since you cannot speak to the judge directly.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”