MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

The name on my birth certificate does not match my social security

Customer Question

The name on my birth certificate does not match my social security card. I need to get a passport, and I was advised to legally change my name to match my ssn, in order to avoid future issues with the SSA. My birth name isXXXXX the name I used when I applied for my SS card is Jeanne. Since then I have only used Jeanne (no MI) and then last name. I was 13 yrs old when I got my SS card, and since then all of my records have the name Jeanne. On the application for the name change, it asks for my legal name. Normally I would say Jeanne. For the paperwork to file the petition for the name change, should I use Dora Jean?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. For the petition you should use your legal name, which is the name on your birth certificate (i.e. Dora Jean). Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello, thank you for your reply. Should I ask for a new birth certificate, is that necessary to get a passport, or is the certified copy of the court petition sufficient?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Do you mean an original copy of your birth certificate issued by the state of your birth? To get a passport, you need a certified copy of your birth certificate. See http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_5401.html

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that I had not accepted your answer. My deepest aplologies. I did get everything worked out.
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Not a problem, glad everything worked out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It wants me to pay more money, but I thought this was just an oversight on my part by not clicking "Accept Answer". Did I do something wrong?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
no, not at all.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, I'm sorry, but what do I do now?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
There is nothing more for you to do unless you have another question regarding the subject matter of your initial post.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I just close this out and not "Accept Answer"?
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
You did Accept the answer. I will go ahead and alert customer service to close the question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much. As always, great customer service! Have a great evening!
Expert:  MShore replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, have a wonderful evening.