Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

If you have filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy in the State of TN

If you have filed a chapter 7 bankruptcy in the State of TN and did not sign the reaffirmation papers on your home but you have been making the monthly payments to current date, however when contacting the lender you find that your payments have not been credited to your account, is there any legal recourse? Do you keep making the house notes or let it go into forclosure?
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

If you do not reaffirm secured debt after bankruptcy, the creditor does not have to report your on time payments to the credit agencies. This is because the debt was considered discharged in the BK.

In the short term, it is almost as if you are renting the place on a month to month basis. In the long term, it is more like rent to own.

If you were to pay off the mortgage, you should still get the title to the house just as you would otherwise. This would be based on a concept of equity and the doctrine of laches. In other words, the lender could not sit on his right to foreclose for many years and accept payments and then just when you have paid off the house foreclose on it.

So, the lender should be keeping a proper accounting of your payments. If not, you may have to file a suit asking for a court order requiring them to do so or a suit for conversion or breach of contract. In the alternative, you can keep sending them certified letters with your payments asking for an accounting showing how and when each payment is being credited to the mortgage balance and what the current outstanding balance is. Do this long enough and you will have established a paper trail to support your laches defense later.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at http://www.attorneysaccess.com/ or http://www.martindale.com/.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".