Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer

How can I get the car loan company to give back my extra payment

How can I get the car loan company to give back my extra payment after the car has been paid off?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.

Send them a letter by certified mail that says that (1) they have drafted an extra payment out of you account that you want refunded immediately, (2) tell the dates and times and with whom you have spoken to about this matter thus far, (3) ask them to refund the money to your account with in 7 business days, (4) tell them that if they, for some reason are not willing or able to refund your money, you want a written explanation of why and that you should receive that explanation from them in 10 days.

Finally, let them know that if they do not correct the error or respond appropriately, you will have no choice but to sue them in small claims court for conversion and will seek your legal fees and costs from them if permitted by law.

Also send a copy of this to your bank to put them on notice of an illegal withdrawal.

If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".