Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

what is the name of the crime in 2005-06 of a 19 yr old having

what is the name of the crime in 2005-06 of a 19 yr old having sex, getting her pregnant, a 14 year old. Back then it wasnt called satutory rape. the attorney told me they would just slap him on his hands maybe probation because he had no crime history. we had bedspread that they did not send out. why. they said it was expensive. the two went to school together.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
S 130.55 Sexual abuse in the third degree.
A person is guilty of sexual abuse in the third degree when he or she subjects another person to sexual contact without the latter`s consent; except that in any prosecution under this section, it is an affirmative defense that (a) such other person`s lack of consent was due solely to incapacity to consent by reason of being less than seventeen years old, and (b) such other person was more than fourteen years old, and (c) the defendant was less than five years older than such other person. Sexual abuse in the third degree is a class B misdemeanor.

It is not statutory rape because he was not over 21 at the time.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
what would of been the sentence if guilty and why is it rape in the third degree in 2011,,,,,,,can u send the answers to my email [email protected]
I do not know why NY changed its law and the law he would be prosecuted with would be the law in effect at the time he committed the offense and not the 2011 law. The sentence would be a maximum of 12 months in jail and if it was a first offense it would likely be only probation.