MShore
MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.
17924466

I have some property that a county owned vehicle is sitting

I have some property that a county owned vehicle is sitting on. The vehicle is from another county. I called the sheriff's office to have it towed. The officer told me becuase we are at a state of emergency the federald says I can not have it towed. I am in the state of tennessee. The truck is a service truck and trailer. It is not an emergency vehicle. It has been sitting on my property for 3 days now.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. What question can I answer for you regarding the vehicle on your property?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What more do you need?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
I need to know what question you have. I assume your question is whether despite being in a state of emergency you can have the vehicle towed, but I would rather not assume your question. In your initial post you stated the facts, but never actually posed a question regarding those facts.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I received no answer!
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
I understand that, you received an information request. I will assume your question to be: whether despite being in a state of emergency you can have the vehicle towed, but I would rather not assume your question.

If my assumption is correct, the state of emergency places a prohibition on the towing of municipal vehicles because the state's resources are presumably allocated towards dealing with the state of emergency. Moreover, you would have a hard time getting a towing company to touch the vehicle in light of the risk of joint liability for removing a municipal vehicle during a state of emergency, and the likelihood the county could argue eminent domain. Please correct me if my assumption as to your question is incorrect.