LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney with more than 30 years of experience in the legal field.

Can a U.S. citizen who works for a foreign company and resides

Can a U.S. citizen who works for a foreign company and resides on assignment from his employer in a foreign company invest in securities with a large brokerage house like Fidelity and Vanguard as if this U.S. citizen was residing in the U.S.? The definition of "U.S. resident" is rather vague. I have a PA drivers license, own property in the U.S., receive my mail in the U.S. etc.
Good morning,

I'm sorry to hear of your confusion.

The term resident refers to your legal right to reside in the US. While you may be temporarily living in a foreign country because that is where your employment takes you, you are still a US citizen, must pay income tax on the income you earn there, you have property in the US and you are legally a resident of the last place you physically lived in the US unless you intend to be a legal resident of another state or country.

You may use your assets and income---from wherever derived, to invest in US securities.

I wish you the best in 2011.

Because I help people here, like you, for a living---this is not a hobby for me, and I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system as regards XXXXX XXXXX I wish you and your family the best in your respective futures.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,