Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

Our hospital is telling non-chemo trained nurses that they

Our hospital is telling non-chemo trained nurses that they are not to worry about caring for patients that have chemo running thru the night. Management says that since they didn't hang it - it is OK just to watch it and call the boss if they think anything is not right during the night.
The girls are afraid because they haven't had any training on what to look for or what to do in an Emergency. They feel their license is being jeopardized. There were chemo nurses who volunteered to come in and work but were not allowed because it would have caused overtime.
We are filling out Assignment Despite Objection forms but the girls are scared for their license.
Can they be held responsible if something would go wrong with the infusion while they were just " Watching It "?
No, they cannot be held liable if they have received no training and they do notify someone if something looks wrong overnight. They can only be held liable for training they have received and not acting within the scope of that training. Thus, if they have not been trained they are not liable to do what they have not been trained to do. WHO DOES TAKE LIABILITY, the MEDICAL FACILITY, that's who. If they are not providing trained personnel and they do have trained personnel and something happens, then the medical facility can be liable for not providing the personnel.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”