INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

Im in England. I left $2000 worth if dresses at my boyfriends

I'm in England. I left $2000 worth if dresses at my boyfriends house in LA in his care. They have now gone missing. What shall I do?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 3 years ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Thank you for the question

INFOLAWYER :

Given you are out of the US and he is Ca

INFOLAWYER :

you want to hire a local lawyer lawyer in Ca to sue him on contingency fee basis

INFOLAWYER :

normally 25%

INFOLAWYER :

The only other alternative is to come to Ca to sue in small claims court

INFOLAWYER :

__________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for the question. I hope you found the answer easy to understand and straightforward.

Please click ACCEPT.
This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I may get credit for the answer.

Your question will not close and you will still be able to follow up with me if needed by clicking REPLY

Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback are nice ways to say "thanks" and are certainly appreciated.

Please remember that the law sometimes does not support what we want it to support but that is not the fault of the person answering the question.

If you have another question in the future, hours or even months down the line, you can always request me - just begin the question with “FOR INFOLAWYER…” Unless I am taking a break or helping another customer, I will respond quickly.

INFOLAWYER :

If I can clarify anything at all, of course, please ask me

Customer: What are the chances of me winning this ?
INFOLAWYER :

Quite good

INFOLAWYER :

he was the caretaker and now does not have the items

INFOLAWYER :

he is charged with returning them or covering their value

INFOLAWYER :

I would just be careful with your time and fees

INFOLAWYER :

being out of the country

INFOLAWYER :

you want a lawyer to handle on contingency

INFOLAWYER :

and avoid having you traveling for court

INFOLAWYER :

so trying to settle out of court would be prudent

Customer: What if he denies the whole thing? I don't have evidence I just really trusted him.
INFOLAWYER :

It would come down to credibility

INFOLAWYER :

But given your location, you should consider settling

INFOLAWYER :

50% being a reasonable

INFOLAWYER :

full litigation with depositions and hearings could cost well more than the $2000 otherwise

INFOLAWYER :

I hope that is direct and helpful

Customer: How is credibility established? He is a dentist so quite a credible person one would think but he has done this.
INFOLAWYER :

The court normally looks to the details of the complaint

INFOLAWYER :

if you are specific

INFOLAWYER :

about dates, times, number of dress, why left, his holding them etc

INFOLAWYER :

the court is more likely to side with you

INFOLAWYER :

But here it is a case best settled out of court

INFOLAWYER :

Please click ACCEPT.

INFOLAWYER :

If I can clarify anything else, please let me know

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly click accept for the answer

INFOLAWYER :

it is the only way I get credit for the response

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses