Richard, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 29 years of experience.
17027240

my siblings and I just inherited a number of rental properties

Customer Question

my siblings and I just inherited a number of rental properties from our Mother, we have a step-father that has been supposedly keeping up the rentals, do we have any recourse against him for not doing that. The rentals are in appalling condition and he is after more money.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.

Good morning. If you inherited the rental properties, they belong to you and you have the responsibility for maintaining them. Unless your stepfather has been engaged by you and your siblings to manage these properties and is getting compensated for doing so, he has no legal obligation to do anything because he has no ownership of these properties.

I hope this has given you the guidance you were seeking. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

The information given here is not legal advice. As all states have different intricacies in their laws, the information given is general only. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so we can't get him to take responsibility for the condition they were in when we inherited?
Expert:  Richard replied 5 years ago.
Not unless you are paying him to act as property manager..if so, you can sue him for defaulting in his duties. Otherwise, you should get him out of the picture, and hire a legitimate property manager.