INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

I have a question on Changing a last name for a child who 2

Customer Question

I have a question on Changing a last name for a child who 2 years old the child in question live in CT. Can the mother ask for a petition even if the father doesn't want to agreed to it is there another reason to do it.
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 3 years ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Good morning

INFOLAWYER :

This is normally done with consent of both parents

INFOLAWYER :

In rare occasions a court may permit one parent to do so over the other parent's objections

INFOLAWYER :

But in nearly all instances, it is considered a joint parental decision requiring consent of both

INFOLAWYER :

If for example one parent petitions to be relieved as parent

INFOLAWYER :

and surrender parental rights

INFOLAWYER :

in such a situation, rare as it is, the court would likely grant the application of the other parent

INFOLAWYER :

If you need any clarification, please ask me

Customer :

Ok I have another question if another person give their last name to the child will that child be recognize as the legal parent

INFOLAWYER :

that alone is not enough

INFOLAWYER :

To begin, the biological parents are considered parents

INFOLAWYER :

if one parent surrenders rights, there is an adoption

INFOLAWYER :

such legal and court recognized change would revise the parenting relationship

Customer :

even if the parent hasn't be around in the child life for over 8 year

INFOLAWYER :

that is basis for the court to rule against that parent

INFOLAWYER :

but it is not automatic

INFOLAWYER :

One parent may petition the court for the change

Customer :

Ok then..

INFOLAWYER :

and argue that the parent has abandoned the child and for all purposes surrendered parental rights

INFOLAWYER :

If you hire a lawyer in the process, martindale.com is a good resource

INFOLAWYER :

I wish you luck

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly click accept for the answer.

Customer :

Ok then Thank for the response

Customer :

have a good day.

INFOLAWYER :

very welcome

INFOLAWYER :

you too

INFOLAWYER :

if you have a moment to leave positive feedback after accepting, much appreciated'

INFOLAWYER :

__________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for the question. I hope you found the answer easy to understand and straightforward.

Please click ACCEPT.
This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I may get credit for the answer.

Your question will not close and you will still be able to follow up with me if needed by clicking REPLY

Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback are nice ways to say "thanks" and are certainly appreciated.

Please remember that the law sometimes does not support what we want it to support but that is not the fault of the person answering the question.

If you have another question in the future, hours or even months down the line, you can always request me - just begin the question with “FOR INFOLAWYER…” Unless I am taking a break or helping another customer, I will respond quickly.