INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses
11313492

My daughter(19) applied for study a study abroad program in

Customer Question

My daughter(19) applied for study a study abroad program in Japan thru her college. She suffers from generalized anxiety disorder and is on medication, and sees a therapist on campus and has a 504 plan in-place. During the application process a professor in-charge of the program sent medical info concerning this disorder to the Japanese school without written consent. She was denied admission to the program. Is the college at fault for releasing this info without her consent?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 5 years ago.
Why was the information sent without consent? Is it a school policy that they be informed of her condition? do they do so for other applicants? was she denied for this reason? what outcome do you want?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We believe this professor had a problem with a student he recommended last year and was covering his posterior, so he disclosed. He was provided this info by her on-campus counselor who was told that it would remain in-house.
Have you reported the incident and filed a complaint with the university?
What conclusion do you want?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have complained, spoken to the Interim Pres and he apologized. They are trying to get another school to take her. Our fear is that this medical info release has killed her chance for future study and employement in Japan. We are looking into leaving this school for another program and want her tuition reinbursed. The reason she went there was the promise of study abroad at a specific japanese college that they are affiliated with.
Has it been released to anyone but that one program?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
It was released to the Japanese college she would have been studying at. We don't know if they can share it with other Japanese institutions. As far as other programs in the US we don't know.
It is not likely it went anywhere else. There would be no reason to send it. You want to use this as leverage with them and press them to get her into an equivalent program possibly also carrying some of the cost of attending.
__________________________________________________________________________
Thank you for the question. I hope you found the answer easy to understand and straightforward.

Please click ACCEPT.
This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I may get credit for the answer.

Your question will not close and you will still be able to follow up with me if needed by clicking REPLY

Leaving a Bonus and Positive Feedback are nice ways to say "thanks" and are certainly appreciated.

Please remember that the law sometimes does not support what we want it to support but that is not the fault of the person answering the question.

If you have another question in the future, hours or even months down the line, you can always request me - just begin the question with “FOR INFOLAWYER…” Unless I am taking a break or helping another customer, I will respond quickly.