Sam, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Once a Judgment is filed - What is the process to pay it off

Once a Judgment is filed - What is the process to pay it off? How long does the debtor have to pay it off? To whom does the debtor send the payment to? Once the Judgment is paid does the debtor receive any proof that it was paid?
Expert:  Sam replied 5 years ago.

Hi

If the court has granted a Judgment, then the debtor will need to contact the collector and arrange to have payments made. It is up to the collector to decide if they will accept payments with interest or if they want a lump sum payment. The Judgment is good for 7 to 10 years, depending on the state and then it can be renewed.

Once it is paid, the debtor needs to request a "Release" be filed with the Courts and also that a copy of that Release be mailed to them.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck