INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses

My 13 year relationship recently ended when I had a bi polar

My 13 year relationship recently ended when I had a bi polar episode and instead of being taken to hospital, my "partner" called the police. I went to jail for 4 days in the psych ward. While in there my partner issued a no contact order against me for 90 days. The 90 days are up tomorrow and I have been squeaky clean. In fact, HE broke the no contact order several times. Now he is blackmailing me saying that if i don't move out of this state he will extend it til August. Is this legal and can I put a no contact order or restraining order on him. He was psychologically abusive and wanted to commit me all the time. I lost everything when he kicked me out of our rental. With this no contact order in place,it does not help me move on from him. It lets him wield the power. When my now fiance was in town he called everyday and threatened to kill him. I have never contacted my ex's currently woman. Will he go to jail if I tell police he broke the no contact order himself?
Expert:  INFOLAWYER replied 3 years ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Thank you for the question and good morning

INFOLAWYER :

In this situation, the police should be alerted of the threat the person is to you

INFOLAWYER :

what would normally happen is reciprocal restraining orders extended

INFOLAWYER :

and no jail

INFOLAWYER :

You should take measures to avoid contact

Customer:

He works where I have been volunteering for 3 years. I see him there. We put provision in last order so I could still volunteer, but is the fact that he is trying to get me out of state and not dropping the order if I stay legal? So if I break no contact I go to jail, but if he does he does not go to jail?

INFOLAWYER :

If you are maintaining the conditions of the order to now, you would not go to jail

INFOLAWYER :

If he is harassing or threatening you, an order can be placed on him

INFOLAWYER :

if he violates that, he may go to jail

INFOLAWYER :

its a 2 step process

INFOLAWYER :

and if there are imminent threats to your safety, and you have proof, the police may arrest immediately

Customer:

He is psychologically torturing me.

Customer:

thats hard to proove

INFOLAWYER :

are you afraid for your safety?

INFOLAWYER :

There is no harm in alerting the police

Customer:

I'm afraid for my mental health.

INFOLAWYER :

and creating a record

INFOLAWYER :

I would file a complaint then concerning the harassment

INFOLAWYER :

I hope that is clear and helpful

Customer:

The harassment being his threats to get me to move?

INFOLAWYER :

The emotional and mental abuse

Customer:

i see. ok. Thank you. So I just go to police and ask them for paperwork? Seems simple enough.

INFOLAWYER :

correct

INFOLAWYER :

that is a good first step

INFOLAWYER :

Good luck

INFOLAWYER :

Kindly click accept for the answer

INFOLAWYER :

enjoy your sunday

Customer:

Thank you I"m also going to get an advocate. I like this service. It is very handy. Even so early on Sunday morning. Hope you have some coffee. :) Have a good day.

INFOLAWYER :

thank you

INFOLAWYER :

take care

INFOLAWYER :

Leaving positive feedback after accepting is also appreciated

INFOLAWYER, Attorney
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses