Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

I was in a deposition for a accident and there was three lawyers

I was in a deposition for a accident and there was three lawyers and the person and her daughter who is suing me and the court reporter in the room. The suing attorney ask me about my medical history and the medications that I am taking. I told them that I was not comfortable answering these questions because of patient privacy. But the insurance attorney representing me said I had to tell the medications that I am taking. Were my rights violated and if so what can I do?
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

Medical history is always discoverable by the defendant when the plaintiff makes his medical condition an issue in the case. The privacy "door" remains closed unless the plaintiff opens it, at which point the defendant can walk through. Based on the information that you provided, I see no reason to believe that your rights were violated in any way.

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.