Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

What are the eligibility requirements to claim someone other

What are the eligibility requirements to claim someone other than an immediate blood relative as a dependent for income tax purposes? Can you point me to the correct IRS publication AND give me a 'cliff's notes' overview? Alan
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello Alan:

IRS Publication 501 discusses dependent exemptions.

It's tough to provide the cliff notes version because the IRS publications are the "cliff notes versions" of the actual law, which is codified in Chapter 26 of the U.S. Code, commonly referred to as "the tax code". (In fairness, if you have ever seen the real cliff notes, you would probably agree that it would be nice if there were cliff notes to cliff notes.)

The extra, super short, incomplete overview is that non-minor children can be claimed if:

1. they are a member of the household for the entire year if they do not have a special relationship (e.g. step-parent or adult child) or they have a special relationship and live with you for at least 1/2 the year;
2. their income is less than $3,650;
3. the person claiming the person provided for more than half their support for the calendar year.

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.