Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Began practicing law in 1992
11068102

I recently upgraded my DVR system through dish network so I

Customer Question

I recently upgraded my DVR system through dish network so I could run my satellite to two tv's. I spoke to a representative a day prior to the installation but there was a miss-understanding on the work I wanted done. When the tech came out, he suggested that I upgrade my system instead of installing more cables to my satellite. When I asked if this would effect my monthly billing he said no. On April 30 I received a bill that included a $100 upgrade fee. I called to resolve the issue but Dish said they could not wave the fee because they had "notes" on what the I said to the tech prior to the installation. However I do not recall ever agreeing to pay any fee. They said that I gave them my debit card number in order to see if I qualified for an upgrade. I did give them my debit card number but only for a $1 fee in-case the tech came by and i wasn't home. I never signed anything that indicated I agreed to an upgrade fee. All they have is "notes" that said that I agreed. Where do I stand
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 3 years ago.
If you want to go to the trouble of suing them in small claims court you can likely win. The "notes" aren't admissible since they are double hearsay. They will actually have to bring the technician to court to testify as to what was said and that isn't likely to happen.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.