Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

How to tell if asked for cash for someone in Nigerias a scam

I had a lady email me saying she was going to get a 450,000 inheritance check from her mother. Then she wanted money for the passport 400 back to the U.S, she asked for money for food, hospital bills, rent, medicine, internet bill and money for a plane trip from Nigeria to america 3200 she claimed. She is in Nigeria I sent her money there; she is on 2 or 3 websites here that show she lives in the U.S in Texas and New York. She claims if I send her the money to get back here that she will meet me at the airport and we will get together and get married. She scanned me a copy of a check, do you think this is a scam, it is from the central bank of Nigeria and it is a bank draft for 450,000 she also gave me a phone number that started 234 and it wasn’t a good number.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.

Yes. This has all the markings of a very common scam. Do not send that money unless you are prepared to never see it again.