LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

After spending several hundred dollars on my daughters Senior

After spending several hundred dollars on my daughters Senior Prom, the school principal denied her admittance on prom night, humiliating her in front of everyone in the area. I had already paid for her 2 tickets to get in. I (her father) was just getting back into town after being away for work, and had to rush to get to the location of the prom to try and see if there was anything I could do. I was told that there were problems with the form we filled out to turn in, and a problem with her school attendance. I of course questioned why they took our money for tickets in the first place if there were issues. Most of all, I am deeply saddened for my daughter, as she was in tears for not getting to attend a once in a lifetime event. Not to mention all the time and money spent specifically for this one event as well. I guess my question is: Is there any way to get restitution for any of this. Not looking to get rich, but just get back what was wasted.
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 3 years ago.

LADYLAWYER :

Hello, Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

LADYLAWYER :

Did they not return the money for he tickets?

LADYLAWYER :

*the

Customer:

Should have mentioned that. I did get the ticket money back only after I demanded it back, and after I had to have someone go get the principal after he walked away

LADYLAWYER :

Hello, are you with me?

LADYLAWYER :

Thank you.

Customer:

Yes sorry, slow net and lousy typist

LADYLAWYER :

What kind of compensation ar you looking for here?

LADYLAWYER :

Reimbursement for the dress and other things your daughter did to get ready for prom?

Customer:

I'd be happy with the money spent on her dress and shoes and such

LADYLAWYER :

Okay, thank you. Can you tell me what the reason was that they gave for allowing your aughter to purchase the tickets in the first place?

LADYLAWYER :

Was it a clerical error?

Customer:

They gave no reason, it was just a simple form and money was given them at the same time.

LADYLAWYER :

Thank you. In that case, I do believe you have a good argument here to be compensated for the money that was spent on getting things for your daughter with the intention she was going to attend prom. "But for" the school's negligence here, your daughter would have known she was not able to attend. So yes, you can get compensation. How much are you out total?

Customer:

Probably in the neighborhood of $350

LADYLAWYER :

Okay, thank you. The best thing to do is to write the school a demand letter. Tell them what you believe they owe you and how long they have to compensate you (generally 30 days). If there is no response, you may try the same thing with the school board. If there is still no response, you can sue in small claims court. You should also include the cost of having to file the lawsuit in your damages.

LADYLAWYER :

The other thing you may want to try is to contact the local news stations to report what happened. They often have consumer lawyers that will take up your cause, which is great because you will have to pay them nothing.

LADYLAWYER :

This is a pretty enticing public interest story and they may just run with it.

Customer:

Ok, thanks for your input. Greatly appreciated

LADYLAWYER :

You're welcome!

Please just let me know if you have any more questions. If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.

Customer:

OK will do

LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience: Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts