Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.

Hello...sorry its so late, but I recently divorced my husband

Hello...sorry it's so late, but I recently divorced my husband because of extreme emotional abuse. Can I sue him for IIED or NIED? He did some truly outrageous things to me during the last five years of our marriage. On three occasions I had to go to the ICU because I went into A-fib as a result, and most recently, suffered a cerebral hemorrhage. I also went to a counselor to work through some of the duress, so my situation is documented.

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

A spousal relationship is not a defense for one spouse's intentional tort (IIED) or negligence against the other. The conduct must truly be "outrageous" to prevail in an IIED case, and in either an IIED or a NIED case the injuries must be "foreseeable", but there is not a legal prohibition in bringing the case itself.

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.