LADYLAWYER
LADYLAWYER, Lawyer
Experience:  Civil; Family; HOA; Landlord/Tenant; Real Estate; Probate; Insurance; Immigration; Wills & Trusts
7887522

If the non custodial parent keeps a kid for more than 8 weeks

Customer Question

If the non custodial parent keeps a kid for more than 8 weeks (say in the summertime) can he just stop child support? Even if he hasn't had the kids on a regular basis ever...like in summer months he is supposed to have them every other week and has not ever followed that. But, one summer kept one of the kids for 3 months and tried to stop his child support.
Expert:  LADYLAWYER replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for choosing Justanswer.com! I look forward to helping you with legal information today.

Absolutely not. He is not able to stop his support at all unless the court orders it stopped. And in the case where he has the children for a few months, the court will not stop the support. If he does stop, he is in contempt of the court's order and you can file a Motion for Contempt. You will have a hearing in front of the judge and the judge will remind him that not paying the support as ordered can lead to fines and/or jail.

Please just let me know if you have any more questions. If not, please don't forget to click on the green accept button in the answer box so that I can receive credit for helping you. It is the only way I can receive compensation for my time and it will charge you nothing further to press accept. Thanks so much.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What if he took leave without pay? I didn't ask him to do this and I still one of the children.
I am happy to continue with you; however, I have noticed that you have asked a question here once before but did not accept the expert's answer, even though they spent quite some time with you. I was wondering if you understood that the only way we can receive compensation is if you accept one of our answers at the end of our conversation? Otherwise, the site keeps your full deposit and we get nothing. I really do want to help you and continue with you, but I wanted to make sure you understood the process here and were willing to accept at least one of my answers when you feel all of your questions have been taken care of. Thanks.