How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask TJ, Esq. Your Own Question

TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10637
Experience:  JD, MBA
Type Your Legal Question Here...
TJ, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What if this situation is the same in all respects except that

Customer Question

What if this situation is the same in all respects except that there is no written contract and the lodger pays zero rent and zero expenses?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Can you provide a little more background? It almost looks like adding to a different question that you already asked, but I don't see any other questions in your history.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a person living in a room in my home. I am the sole owner, and there is no other person living here other than myself and the lodger. There has never been a written contract. The person (a lady) was allowed to move in seven years ago because she was being physically abused in her previous living situation. There is no rent paid and there is no sharing of utilities. It is a complete free ride which has become unacceptable. There is not now nor in the past any type of relationship other than friends. Since there is no contract, how much time between having her served and the actual removal process. I also want all her property removed. She has filled up my garage with mostly junk and I cannot use it for my vehicles. Is this a quick removal thing or must I go through the court. The California Civil Code on line says no court action is required and the lodger can be removed by the sheriff after expiration of the notice to leave.
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
Hi again. Thank you for the additional details.

In my opinion, the lodger is no more than a house guest, and therefore, she has no possessory rights to the house. Thus, she must leave when you ask her to leave, and she becomes a trespasser if she refuses. Since trespassers do not need to be evicted through the courts, I agree with what you've read.

However, you should note that this is a very technical point in the law, and therefore, you may not get help from the sheriff since he may claim that this is a civil dispute that must be decided in court. Therefore, unless you want to literally lock the lodger out of the house (i.e., change the locks), and then defend yourself in court against a wrongful eviction lawsuit (that you'd probably win), then the best decision is to just bite the bullet and file a traditional eviction action.

As an aside, there is California case law that supports what I've written: Cassidy v. Cassidy, C052802 (Cal. App., 2008).

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then feel free to let me know, as I will be happy to clarify my answer or help with your follow-up questions. In the meantime, please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time (doing so does not end our session). Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 10637
Experience: JD, MBA
TJ, Esq. and 8 other Legal Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's not what I wanted to hear, but it seems that I will just have to file an eviction action. Wehn I am living in my own home, the law should give more leeway to the owner.. The "lock out" thing would be a no go because this person is very vindictive. With her junk filling up my garage, my vehicles would be fair game for any vandalism. "No good deed ever goes unpunished, does it? Thanks.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Not only did he answer my Michigan divorce question but was also able to help me out with it, too. I have since won my legal case on this matter and thank you so much for it. Lee Michigan

Meet The Experts:

  • Tina


    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
< Last | Next >
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    JD, BBA Over 25 years legal and business experience.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • JPEsq's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experience as general attorney, in house counsel, SSDI, Family Law attorney, and law professor
  • Law Educator, Esq.'s Avatar

    Law Educator, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of experience helping people like you.
  • Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.'s Avatar

    Guillermo J. Senmartin, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    7+ years of experience handling various legal matters.
  • Dimitry K., Esq.'s Avatar

    Dimitry K., Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Multiple jurisdictions, specialize in business/contract disputes, estate creation and administration.

Related Legal Questions