MShore, Attorney
Experience:  Negotiate, Draft, and Review many complex commercial agreements each year.

Hi, I was dismissed from graduate school because of a C in

Hi, I was dismissed from graduate school because of a "C" in a class. When I contacted the professor about it, she got very personal in her emails which made me feel that she has something against me. She said I missed announcements about class participation when I was late to class and when I emailed my classmates about that it turns out nothing of that sort happened. What are my options? Can I use the emails as proof?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for the post, I am happy to assist you by answering your questions. Have you already appealed to the dean regarding the grade?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No not yet, but from the email conversation I am not sure if that is going to help since the class doesn't have a actual exam. It is a presentation class.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
ok, does the professor allege that your presentation was materially deficient? If so, did the professor identify how?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes she did, but that course syllabus doesn't have any guidelines so I did my best
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
What exactly did the professor state with respect to the deficiency in your presentation?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
she literally ripped it apart. she said I did not prepare very well, or present it well or answer the questions properly and did not have enough slides. I did get nervous and asked to go second which had some impact on the presentation. I did end up answering the questions to best of my knowledge and since the syllabus did not have any guidelines, I am not aware of how many slides were required for the presentation.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
So it was a subjective grading system?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Then that is your strongest argument for modifying the grade, that the subjective nature of the grading system coupled with the lack of a syllabus makes it impossible to identify the professor's criteria and the objectives of the presentation.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you think I should appeal to the dean and provide a copy of the syllabus saying that there are not set guidelines?
Expert:  MShore replied 5 years ago.
Yes, I do.