Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

If someone is taken into custody on probable cause but read

If someone is taken into custody on probable cause but read their rights or charged with a crime, what does that mean?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Please clarify your question, it seems a bit confused?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He was not charged with a crime, has not been questioned and was not given his rights. 3 officers were present. They said it was probable cause on an assalt aligation but the girls has since recanted yet my son is still being held in county jail.
It he was not questioned then the police did not need to legally read him his rights. Miranda rights are only required to be read when the police will actually question a suspect in a crime. If there was a complaint and he has likely been charged by arrest and the case is at the DA's office. If the girl has recanted, then you must get him an attorney to go to court and to go to court and file a motion for his release based on the recanted accusation. If not the DA has 90 days to charge him by indictment or bill of information or they must let him go.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”