Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  15 yrs practice, Civil, Criminal, Domestic, Realtor, Landlord 26 yrs
19958803

My husband and i bought a house in 1991.Just before our divorce

My husband and i bought a house in 1991.Just before our divorce in 1997 his parents asked us to come to the bank so they could put there name on the house with us so we wouldn't lose the house. When i try to see if my name is XXXXX XXXXX it they get mad.Someone told me it wasn't on there. How can that be?

.

The easiest way to see it you are on the deed is to simply go down to the county recorder's where the house is located and get a copy of the deed. It will show everyone who is an owner of the house and you can even get previous deeds and transfer documents.

.

If parents names are XXXXX XXXXX deed from 91, the only way that could have happened is if either they were listed as owners with you and husband or the house was initially put in their name.

.

But the only way to know for sure what happened is to go down to the county recorders and get copies of the documents. They are public records so you can go in anytime during normal business hours to figure out how the transaction was structured.

.

It doesn't make sense to me why you would put his parents on your deed if you were divorcing though. Typically in a divorce, one party just quitclaim deeds their interest to the other spouse as part of any property settlement agreement or they agree to just sell it.

.

.

thanks

.

If I have answered your question, PLEASE CLICK THE GREEN "ACCEPT" button NOW, so that I receive credit for my work. Bonuses are optional and greatly appreciated. Please keep in mind that I don't make the laws, I am just reporting/interpreting them, so the outcome may not be what you had hoped for.

.

There may be a time lag between my replies as I am typically working with several customers at any given time, but rest assured, I will get back with you as soon as I am able.

.

If you need additional clarification on this question, just click "Reply" and I will be happy to help you. Please give me as much detail as you can so that I can respond after receiving all the relevant details.