Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law

I am currently in a retaliation lawsuit for racial discrimimation

Customer Question

I am currently in a retaliation lawsuit for racial discrimimation with my former employer. How likely would it be for me to get punitive damages or should I just settle for the settlement that they are offering?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
Punitive damages in retaliation complaints are granted depending upon the proof of bad faith and malice in the retaliation. They are always a toss up with the courts because the courts are hesitant to award them AND the costs of going all the way to litigation many times eats up a good chunk of any additional money you get. However, your attorney knows your case evidence and the decision of malice and bad faith is based on that evidence so you need to make him give you an honest evaluation.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you think that one source of evidence is good enough or do you think a lot of evidence is needed to when a punitive damage?
One source can be all you need depending on the strength of that source of evidence. Again, that is what your attorney's experience in evaluation is for.