Brandon M.
Brandon M., Counselor at Law
Experience:  Attorney experienced in numerous areas of law.
11182422

What Federal laws protect the mentally ill

What Federal laws and/or WA state laws protect the mentally ill by providing "A least restrictive environment" All I can find for 'least restrictive environment' is for schools.

Is there a tie to deinstituionalization, I need specific laws besides 1963 act. Or, does the 63 ACT talk about "least restrictive environment"
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 5 years ago.
Hello there:

The "least restrictive environment" standard may or may not apply to your specific situation. Can you tell me a bit more about what is happening?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I am doing research and I just want to know about laws for deinstitionalization and least restrictive environments.

What Fed laws pertain to this?
Hello again:

The context of the "least restrictive environment" standard is in an educational setting. It is a core principle of the Federal 2004 IDEA. There are certainly situations where someone's rights as a mentally ill person overlap with their rights as a student under IDEA, but the two are otherwise mutually exclusive of each other and a mentally ill person does not per se have a right to a "least restrictive environment".

Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.