Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

What license do I need to install and sell alarm systems

Customer Question

Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

According to the Georgia Secretary of State, you do not need a license to sell alarms per se. However, Georgia requires a statewide Contractors License for any residential or commercial construction project that exceeds $ 2,500.00.

http://www.examprep.org/InfoDialog/selectlicensecontent1.aspx?State=Georgia&st=ga&Name=Georgia%20Low%20Voltage%20Alarm&Cost=$450.00&Course=873

The above link will explain what you need. I know that you said that your alarms do not require a voltage permit, but the license covers alarms in general as well. It is just that the law has not caught up with wireless alarms yet, so it falls under this category at the moment.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you until you actually press ACCEPT. If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the REPLY button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after accepting, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you desire clarification.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault (in other words, I prefer to tell you the truth rather than tell you what you want to hear, so if the news is not good, please do not shoot the messenger).

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at…

http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-attorneyeli/

…if you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Eli,

Forgive me for being ignorant, but the link you provided above, I have already cited as you referenced the Low Voltage license on a product where there is no construction being done as all of the equipment is wireless and installs using adhesive.

Are you stating that the cost for me to sell and install will cost me $2,500 for the permit,even if no constructing exists and it's a do it yourself product? and where did you find the $2,500 permit charge and where is it paid to?

Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
No problem - give me one second while I clarify this.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Permit me to ask something - will you be selling ONLY wireless alarms? And will some items cost more than $2.5k with installation?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no Item will cost 2.5k as the system sells for $399.00 without installation as everything is self installed, but if you require our assistance then an installation charge will be provided.

Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
Thank you.

From what you are telling me, you do not need a license it seems, since your alarm system is non-wire and under $2,500:

http://www.examprep.org/infodialog/SelectLicense.aspx?st=ga

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The answer provided was vague and the information provided was the same information I researched and found myself. My question was simple, but the answer provided by my legal advisor was not. I need an advisor that handles business related questions concerning Alarm system companies and state policies. My goal today was to move forward, but as of now I am more confused then when I first arrived to your site.
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry that you are confused by the answer. I will refer your question to another expert colleague who can perhaps assist.