Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JA Mentor -Attorney Labor/employment, corporate, sports law, admiralty/maritime and civil rights law
10285032

Do I have to show up for a deposition on civil case for a

Do I have to show up for a deposition on civil case for a debt ? I received a notice
in the mail notice of taking deposition duces tecum in which I am supposed to bring
all kinds of personal documents.
Yes, you have to show up, but you can contact the attorney who subpoenaed you and negotiate a different date or time if that time is inconvenient and they are expected to be reasonable in accommodating you. However, if you just refuse to show up, they will go to the court with a motion for contempt against you and seek to have you fined by the court and have the court order you to appear. If you are filing for bankruptcy you have to still comply at least until you file for bankruptcy and enter a motion to stay the case for bankruptcy.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=10285032&FID=39 or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”